Sunday, March 22, 2009

Weekend project

Well it is still a little too cold out for much gardening. I have been fertilizing my garden and getting it ready to plant seeds and plants. Now I know you are thinking how this goes with art or education. Well I'll tell you I am going to start many flower and spring pictures with my students in class soon. I start as soon as the forsythia blooms because on the way to school the students pass a long forsythia hedge. Kindergarten learns to draw a star and creates a forsythia vase of flowers.

I am using great artist paintings as inspiration for my gardens this year, Van Gogh Sunflowers, a Monet style wildflower garden, and a cosmos garden. Did you ever look at a painting and try to figure out what flowers they are painting. I just found out recently what flower Andy Warhol did in his Flowers print if you want to find out click the link! Some are obvious other not so obvious. I am really into hobby farming, agriculture, horses, chickens, ducks, and goats. One lesson I love for 4-H programs is the Vincent Van Gogh flower beds.

Some artists I love to introduce in spring are:

Monet paintings especially showing the Unknown Monet slide show.

Von Gogh paintings not just the sunflowers, he did many flower vases and landscapes.

Georgia O'Keeffe and her close up flowers are a favorite for the younger students.

Andy Warhol is a favorite for my middle school students they love the video Getting to Know the Artists Andy Warhol and doing a Flowers block print.


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment